Episode 30 from Season 2 titled: Another way of seeing the Bible.
We all approach the Bible with a set of questions, but are these questions enough and could there be others to ask. In this session, we look at the questions a Western reader asks and the questions a Middle Eastern reader asks. Seeing the Bible through another set of questions can really help us engage with what it says.
The Modern Western Reader
- Did it really happen like this, is it historical?
- How does it solve my problems?
- Are these people real, what proof?
- Does it fit the world we know?
- Do I like it?
Eastern / Jewish Reader
- Why did the writer tell me this story?
- Why did the writer choose to write it like this?
- Why did the writer use this word not that?
- How can I entre the story?
- What does the story ask of me?
- Where have I heard this story before?
- What does it tell me about this world that I didn’t know?
Cris Rogers is a church leader at Allhallowsbow.org.uk and Director of Making Disciples. For more information check out wearemakingdisciples.com